What You Eat & How it Affects Your Eyes
Nutrition is important for your overall health and wellness, and that includes your eyes!
Receive recommendations about what you can add to your diet during your comprehensive eye examination.
The Importance of Nutrition
Vitamins and minerals good for your eyes include:
- Lutein & Zeaxanthin—shown to lower the risk of developing cataracts
- Vitamin A—essential for maintaining the function of your eye’s light-sensing cells, known as photoreceptors
- Vitamin C—can help lower the risk of developing cataracts and slow the progression of AMD when taken with other essential nutrients
- Vitamin E—protects the cells in your eye from free radicals (unstable molecules that break down healthy tissues)
- Omega-3s—important for visual development, retinal function, and can help reduce the symptoms of dry eye disease
- Zinc—helps bring vitamin A from the liver to your eyes and can protect against imparied vision, poor night vision, and cataracts
You can find these nutrients in eye-friendly food sources, including dark leafy greens, citrus fruits, nuts, cold-water fish, liver, egg yolks, green peppers, and tomatoes. When in doubt, add colour to your plate!
Achieve Your Greatest Overall Eye Health
Living a healthy lifestyle is important whether you’re an athlete or not. What you consume can help your athletic performance in more ways than one. Get the energy and vision you need to succeed!
Find Us in Milton
We’re located in the Wilmott Marketplace Plaza off Santa Marta Boulevard, across from the Milton Sports Centre. You’ll find plenty of parking in front of our practice.
- 608 Santa Maria Blvd, Unit 4
- Milton, ON L9T 9L7
- Monday: Closed
- Tuesday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Wednesday : 10:00 AM – 8:00 PM
- Thursday: 10:00 AM – 6:30 PM
- Friday: 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Saturday: 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM
- Sunday: Closed